Human beings love challenges; we try something that looks impossible or extremely difficult. If you have never gone for a cross-country motorcycling trip, you have never experienced the hurdles of riding a bike. You may have gone for a long drive on your bike, but a cross-country trip on a motorcycle is different.
If you want to visit the world with a motorcycle, you can join the different continents’ rallies. For that, you need a special preparation, which I am going to share in this article.
Essentials for Cross-Country Motorcycle Trip
Going for a regular trip on a bike is different than going for a long drive or cross-country trip. If you are planning for it, here are several essential things that you need to know.
1) Choosing a Motorcycle Style
For a long drive trip, you need a different kind of bike with all the essential amenities. For example, a motorcycle with windscreen coverage can have a significant difference in your experience. Here are some of my recommendations for choosing the right motorcycle for the trip.
- Adventure Motorcycles: It’s a great choice for a long journey on a motorcycle. It offers you an ergonomics design with a wind protection guard and extra baggage. These types of motorcycles are ideas for cross-country motorcycling trip.
- Touring Motorcycles: Touring motorcycles are designed in such a way that you can travel for long hours. The design is made so that it won’t put much strain on your body with wind guard, cargo luggage, and extra bags.
- Cruiser Motorcycles: Lastly, you can also go for long rides with cruiser motorcycles. But they don’t have extra luggage or wind protection guard like touring and adventure motorcycles. However, you can take these bikes if you have no other option.
Some people choose sports motorcycles for long drives, but I don’t recommend it. These are not suitable for long journeys; however, they are ideal for short-distance travel.
2) Motorcycle Maintenance
Secondly, you need to have proper motorcycle maintenance before staring your journey. Imagine how it will feel when you are a thousand miles away from your home, and your motorcycle breaks down. Although nothing is certain, even if you have good maintenance, chances are less, you will suffer if you have proper maintenance of your vehicle beforehand.
3) Be Prepared for Bad Weather
No matter how the weather is while you start your trip, but you are not sure about it. So you should be prepared for the worst-case and carry a waterproof rain suit with you. However, you don’t have to wear it throughout the journey; pack it in your luggage.
Next, you need to start your journey as early as possible every morning. Ensure that you take enough rest between your trip. Remember, you are not in a race, so enjoy your ride with slow and moderate speed. Don’t accelerate your speed like you are on a race.
More importantly, have insurance and all the documents with you. You should also contact a personal injury lawyer; for example, Oakland motorcycle accident lawyers proactively help their clients if they meet an accident, unfortunately.
5) Check List Before Your Trip
Finally, you need to check these following things before you actually start your trip. Here is a quick check-list before your trip.
- Check all the essential parts of your bike, such as brake, horn, headlights, tire-pressure, and more.
- Take a safety helmet.
- Don’t forget to take your driving license and other important documents like insurance papers, ID cards, etc.
- Check your luggage, whether you have the waterproof suit, tool kit, and other essentials.
Hopefully, the above information has helped you to prepare for your next cross-country motorcycling trip. Now, are you ready to plan for your long drive? If yes, then pack your bag and do all the preparation. Please feel free to share your opinion on this post in the comment section.