The fashion world has been talking about wooden sunglasses a lot recently and many celebrities have already been spotted wearing this latest fashion accessory. They offer a classy and unique look which can be worn anywhere from the beach to a concert. Online you can find wooden sunglasses in a variety of bright colors and frame designs, to complement every kind of outfit. Men and women can wear them to create a personal style statement.
Why choose wooden shades over plastic?
Plastic has already created havoc around the world by polluting the air, water, and soil. Micro-plastic has been found in foods like sea salt. With a great sustainable material like wood available, there is no need to keep using plastic. The frames of these glasses are made from wood, but the eyewear is still produced in many different colors and shapes including semi-rimless, square, circle, aviators and cat-eye styles. Wood is a great material for crafting sunglasses from, and it can look strong and masculine or soft and stylish depending on the design used.
You can check out WUDN’s handcrafted wooden sunglasses, which use high-grade polarized lenses for 100% UVA protection. The variety of glasses you will find in their online store is exceptional, and they are all crafted from weal-wood which makes them stylish, lightweight, and comfortable to wear. If you are looking to purchase wooden sunglasses, there are several things you need to consider first.
Different types of wood are used to design sunglasses. The most commonly used woods are ebony, maple, cocobolo, zebrawood and bamboo. You will never find two identical pairs because of the grain variation found in wood. Each one looks slightly different but is equally durable and comfortable to wear. For example, the zebrawood glasses have a striped pattern, which is available in a dark or light shade. Bamboo has a bold to subtle grain and makes for a unique piece in your accessory collection.
When you choose the size of the frame, remember to go for a bigger frame as it will offer more protection from the damaging ultra-violet rays. Wooden sunglasses generally have square edges across the temples of your forehead.
If you are an outdoorsy person, then look for TAC polarized glasses. TAC doesn’t shatter like the PC and AC lenses. It has 7 layers, which reduce reflection, glare and dispersed light. TAC helps the wearer to see clearly as well as reduces the chance of glare-induced headaches. A polarized lens is capable of absorbing over 99% of UV rays [UVA & UVB] with a wavelength of up to 400 nanometers. UV protection is in-built, so it won’t disappear or fade over time. The top surface layer has a protective film that is scratch resistant and hard-wearing.
Spring hinges are often overlooked by wearers, but they experience a wider range of movement, allowing the arms to move flexibly. Avoid traditional hinges because when they open up to 90° they are prone to break with just a little extra force.
Handcrafted sunglasses usually offer a beautiful design carved into sustainable wood. Ensure the frame you select is laminated and that the glasses are fitted with polarized lenses. Your purchase decision really depends on how much money you want to spend on the product, but it’s worth purchasing a quality pair of sunglasses that will last a long time.
How do you find which frame style suits your face shape?
When purchasing eyewear you will need to consider your face shape to ensure the glasses compliment you. The common rule is to choose a sunglass shape that is opposite to the shape of your face, to create a balance between the two. For example, rectangular glasses on a round face work to balance out the roundness, whereas round glasses would accentuate your face’s roundness.
- For circular faces – Square, retro-square or cat-eye frames will offset any roundness and complement your look.
- For heart-shaped faces – If you have a heart-shaped face, frames that are wider on the top than the bottom will work best for you. Cat-eye and retro square frames are the ideal styles to choose!
- Oblong or oval face – For oval or oblong-shaped faces, a perfect fit is more important that than the frame shape. Oversized sunglasses, aviators, and retro-styles are a good option.
- Square face – In order to soften the square shape of the face, choose rimless or round eyewear to create balance. Half-frame, aviator and round glasses are the best choices.
The guidelines given above will help you narrow down your options and allow you to choose the right kind of sunglasses to suit your individual look.
How to take care of your wooden shades
Make sure you treat your sunglasses with care. When not in use, store them in a protective case rather than just dropping them in your bag. Use the micro-fiber cloth provided in the hardcover case to clean the lenses.
What to do if the lens gets scratched
Glasses can last for years, but you need to look after them properly to avoid scratches on the lenses. Even a tiny scratch can disturb your line of vision, and makes the sunglasses appear cheap. If one of your lenses does get scratched, a more cost-effective option may be getting them replaced. Here are some tips on how to look after your glasses if they become scratched:
- Clean the lens surface with a glass cleaner and microfiber cloth to identify the scratch.
- Dab mild toothpaste on the scratch with a cotton bud or ball and gently rub it in. Then, rinse the lens in cool water to remove the toothpaste.
- You can even use a mixture of water and baking soda instead of toothpaste and simply apply it in the same way.
- If the scratch is deep, repeat the process a couple of times.
- Now apply a scratch filling like wax into any deep scratches with a micro-fiber cloth.
- Wipe the lens clean.
- For deep scratches, you will need to apply wax weekly to keep your lenses clear for use.
If your glasses need to be repaired
- Tiny screws hold the arms on your sunglasses to the lenses. It’s always good to have a repair kit, which includes replacement screws and a tiny screwdriver. Tighten the screws as needed to make sure they don’t fall out.
We hope you now have all the information you need to choose a pair of wooden sunglasses to suit your personality and style. Browse the collection at WUDN today and order online!